Monday, January 18, 2010

Must-See Monday: Paint and Tote Relationship



Whenever I go to Boston, which is fairly often these days, I love picking up art supplies. I don't do it every time, but yesterday, I stopped at Blick's The Art Store near Fenway Park. I only needed some gouache and paper, but of course I can't rush in and out. I can't resist looking at the handmade papers (even though I wasn't planning to buy any) and thinking about what I might possibly do with them. Then there are the portfolios, sketchpads, notebooks, etc,. Good thing my husband was with me to prod me along and keep me thinking about the time (though he was very patient).

So, I finally got to the gouache aisle and then I had to think about the colors I needed and those that I wanted. I finally settled on some Holbein colors: Permanent Yellow Orange, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, and Opera. I also got Windsor and Newton's Linden Green (a color I use a lot). A very nice person unlocked the Holbein case and then I saw her again at the register.

As she rang up my items, the above tote (from The Outfit designed by Kazuko Nomoto) caught my eye. I thought I could use another tote, but did I need one? I wasn't going to buy it, but my thoughtful shopping mate sensed my longing and convinced me to get it. It didn't take much convincing.

On the ride home, I studied my new treasures--the beautiful little bird shapes, the colors. The colors!



Strangely, the gouache colors I chose and the colors the tote artist used were similar. I picked the paint out first and saw the tote second. It wouldn't have been so weird if it were the other way around. I looked out the car window and noticed the colors of houses--Burnt Sienna-ish with Linden Green-ish trim; a yellow building like the yellow Nomoto used.

Finally, after completing a myriad of tasks at home, I got to paint inspired by colors, Kazuko Nomoto, and a wonderful day.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an adorable tote design! And I love the illustration you did, inspired by the tote. :)